Six Rascals took to their bikes for the last of the Gorrick Spring Series races at Deepcut on Sunday 22nd April. The forecast was for rain but as the team arrived clouds cleared and sun bathed the wooded slopes to welcome them on a pre-race the warm up lap.
Alice off to a Flying start
Ben Bishop, Henry Jarrett and Lewis Haller proudly pulled on their new Rascals race wear and lined up for the U12 boys. Alice Matravers saddled up next to 1st time Rascals racer Lucy Rothwell for the Girls U12 start. The usual start line jostling saw the riders in mixed starting positions but they were ready with Alice flying off into the woods in pursuit of her race winning goal.
As the U12s disappeared into the forest Sam pulled forward to take his place at the front of the starting gate, he knew that with two previous victories and a third that a win here would secure the Spring Series boys U10 title. A good start saw him lead from the gun.
In the forest an incident at the first climb halted progress for many of the U12's with Lewis coming off his bike and being caught at the bottom of the slope. The U10 race appeared just as this cleared merging the field earlier than expected.
With Lewis recovered and seated once more he and his fellow riders disappeared into the rolling forest to tackle the ¾ lap technical challenge.
Henry working hard
Sam – focused at the U10 start
Lewis back in the saddle
As the riders neared the finish and all but one Rascal had passed expectant supporters there was some concern that Lucy in her first race may not have made it around the challenging Gorrick course. As eyes peered through the evergreen trunks a Green and Red jerseyed Charlotteville Rascal emerged with a broad smile and with encouragement from all "go on Lucy" went on to finish her first ever race, really well done.
- U10 boys Sam Bishop 1st place 22m 32
- U12 girls Alice Matravers 1st place 24m 09
- Lucy Rothwell 3rd place 34m 17
- U12 boys Ben Bishop 5th place 23m 56
- Henry Jarrett 6th place 25m 42
- Lewis Haller 10th place 31m 34
Lucy across the line
A great morning of racing for the Rascals;
- Sam won his race and sealed a quite superb three 1st places and a 3rd out of 4 races. His time would have got him 4th place in the U12's. Championship winning performances from Sam!
- Alice won her U12 race, something that she has been working towards with 2 seconds previously. Alice gets stronger and stronger, great racing!
- Henry continued his steady performances and was pleased with his 6th to complete a very good Gorrick spring series. He got hassled by one parent this time but just rode past.
- Ben continues to increase his speed with a strong 5th place. Another Rascal rider who has got faster and more competitive over the series and now has mastered being 'clipped in'.
- Lewis has fallen foul of a couple of incidents in the last 2 races but as ever gets up and chases down the field to recover strongly. Great determination from Lewis
- Lucy, a great finish on a tough course in her first ever competitive ride – brilliant stuff!!
Lewis 10th Lucy 3rd Alice 1st Henry 6th Sam 1st Ben 5th